Phone: 0381/498 3160
Fax: 0381/498 118 3162
- since 2004: Professor, Crop Health, Institute for Land Use, University of Rostock
- 1992-2004: Scientific Coordinator of the Research Center Agriculture and the Environment, University of Göttingen
- 1988-1991: Project Research University of Göttingen "Species-specific weed competition and population dynamics"
- 1987: PhD in Agricultural Sciences - University of Göttingen, thesis in Weed Research
- 1987: Master in Phytomedicine, University of Göttingen, master thesis in Weed Science - field experiments in Burgenland, Austria
- 1983:Diploma in Agricultural Science University of Göttingen, diploma thesis in Weed Science
Fields of Research
- Weed Research
- Crop Protection and Land Use
- Integrated Pest Management - Integrated Weed Management
- Agri-Environmental Politics and Agricultural Production
- Crop Health - Weed Research, Crop Protection and Pest Management
- Applied Crop Health - Weed Research, Crop Protection and Pest Management
- Crop Protection in Organic Farming
- Soil Biology
- Weeds in tropical and subtropical agriculture
- European Weed Research Society (EWRS)
- German Society of Plant Protection and Plant Health (DPG)
- International Organisation for Biological and Integrated Control of Noxious Plants and Animal (IOBC)
- Society for Informatics in Agriculture (GIL)
- European Weed Research Society – President 2016/2017, Vice President 2014/2015, Working Group "Weeds and Biodiversity" (Convenor, 2007-2014)
- IOBC (Internat. Organisation for Biological and Integrated Control) Working Group „Landscape management for functional Biodiversity”, (Co-convenor)
- EFSA (European Food Safety Authority), Panel Plant Health, permanent expert 2006-2009, Panel Contaminants, ad-hoc expert 2010 and 2011
- Association for Technology and Structures in Agriculture (KTBL) - Working Committee "System Evaluation", (Chairperson), 2006-2014
- Scientific Advisory Board "National Action Plan on Sustainable Use of Pesticides” of Germany, Chairperson, since 2015
- Scientific Advisory Board "Biodiversity and Genetic Resources" at the German Federal Ministry of Consumer Protection, Food and Agriculture (Chairperson), 2004-2014
- Agronomy for Sustainable Development (Field Editor) (since 2006)
- Journal Plant Disease and Plant Protection (Editor-in-Chief), 2010-2015
- Journal of Consumer Protection and Food Safety (Scientific Advisory Board), 2005-2015
- 1994 Julius-Kühn-Laureate of the German Society of Plant Protection and Plant Health
Peters K, Gerowitt B (2014) Response of the two Rare Arable Weed Species Lithospermum arvense and Scandix pecten-veneris to Climate Change Conditions. Plant Ecology 215, 1013-1023.
Peters K, Breitsameter, L, Gerowitt B (2014) Impact of climate change on weeds in agriculture – a review. Agronomy for Sustainable Development 1-15.
Daedlow D, Westerman P R, Baraibar B, Rouphael S, Gerowitt B (2014) Weed seed predation rate in cereals as a function of seed density and patch size, under high predation pressure by rodents. Weed Research 54, 186-195.
Westerman P, Gerowitt B (2013) The effect of anaerobic digestion in biogas plants on weed seeds. The Botanical Review 3, 281-316.
Bürger J, Günther A, de Mol F, Gerowitt B (2012) Analysing the influence of crop management and other factors on pesticide use intensity with Linear Mixed Effects Models. Agricultural Systems 111, 13-22.
Hanzlik K, Gerowitt B (2012) Occurrence and distribution of important weed species in German winter oilseed rape fields. Journal Plant Diseases and Protection 119, 107-120.
Baraibar B, Daedlow D, de Mol F, Gerowitt B (2012) Density dependence of weed seed predation by invertebrates and vertebrates in winter wheat. Weed Research 52, 79-87.
Bürger J, de Mol F, Gerowitt B (2012) Influence of cropping system factors on pesticide use intensity – a multivariate analysis of on-farm data in North East Germany. European Journal of Agronomy 40, 54-63.
Westerman PR, Gerowitt B (2012) The probability of maize biomass contamination with weed seeds. Journal of Plant Diseases and Protection 119, 68-73.
Westerman PR, Heiermann M, Pottberg U, Rodemann B, Gerowitt B (2012) Weed seed survival during mesophilic anaerobic digestion in biogas plants. Weed Research 52, 307-316.
Westerman PR, Hildebrandt F, Gerowitt B (2012) Weed seed survival following ensiling and mesophilic anaerobic digestion in batch reactors. Weed Research 52, 286-295.
Hanzlik, K. & Gerowitt, B. (2011) The importance of climate, site and management on weed vegetation in oilseed rape in Germany. Agriculture, Ecosystem and Environment, 141, 323-331.
Mante, J., Wagner, A., Czybulka, D. & Gerowitt, B (2010) Flowering strips as compensation measures on arable land - Nature conservation valuation and legal interpretation using the example of intensively used agricultural areas in three German federal states (Blühstreifen als Kompensationsmaßnahmen auf dem Acker – naturschutzfachliche Einschätzung und rechtliche Bewertung am Beispiel von intensiv genutzten Agrarregionen in drei Bundesländern). Berichte über Landwirtschaft 88, 37-56.
Höft, A., Müller, J. & Gerowitt, B. (2010) Vegetation indicators for grazing activities to be implemented in outcome-oriented agri-environmental payment schemes in North-East-Germany. Ecological Indicators 10, 719-726.
Mante, J., Gerowitt, B. (2009) Learning from farmers' needs: Identifying obstacles to the successful implementation of field margin measures in intensive arable regions. Landscape and Urban Planning 93, 229-237.
Bürger, J., de Mol, F., Gerowitt, B. (2008) The 'necessary extent' of pesticide use - Thoughts about a key term in German pesticide policy. Crop Protection, 27, 343-351.
Gerowitt, B. (2007): Agrobiodiversität und Pflanzenschutz- ein ambivalentes Verhältnis. Journal Consumer Protection and Food Safety, 2, 1-3. (Editorial Letter)
Mante, J., Gerowitt, B. (2007) A survey of on-farm acceptance of low-input measures in intensive agriculture. Agronomy for Sustainable Development, 27, 399-406.
Dau, A., Gerowitt, B. (2004) Cultural Control of Cirsium arvense (L.) Scop. in a Cereal based Crop Rotation. Journal of Plant Diseases and Protection, Sp. I. XVIII, 475-481.
Hettwer, U., Gerowitt, B. (2004) An investigation of genetic variation in Cirsium arvense field patches. Weed Research, 44, 289-297.
Gerowitt, B. (2003) Development and control of weeds in arable farming systems. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 98, 247-254.
Gerowitt, B., Bertke, E., Hespelt, S.-K., Tute, C. (2003) Towards multifunctional agriculture - weeds as ecological goods? Weed Research, 43, 227-235.
Gerowitt, B., Isselstein, J., Marggraf, R. (2003) Rewarding Ecological Services- Requirements and Perspectives for Agricultural Land Use. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 98, 541-547.