Master Livestock Sciences
Welcome to the detailed description of the Master degree program "Livestock Sciences". This program is offered by the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (AUF) since the winter term 2011/2012.
The degree program has successfully undergone a procedure of internal accreditation and is entitled to bear the standards of the Conference of Ministers of Culture and the University of Rostock. The internal accreditation is valid until March 31, 2026.
Here you can find a short description of the program and general information about the permission modalities.
Aims and Characteristics
Livestock Sciences is a science orientated university study program with a duration of two years. The focus is on the species-appropriate, resource, climate and environmentally friendly production of food of animal origin. The Master program has the following training objectives:
- Based on agricultural, scientific and social-scientific fundamentals, the students gain knowledge about the interrelated processes in the production of animal originating food and its impact on the environment and society,
- They gain the ability to check and balance the interests of all parties involved in the food production, regarding also agrarian and environmental standards,
- They get to know production methods and gain soft skills which enable our students to work for research and consulting companies and to apply for leading positions in enterprises dealing with agriculture, environment and bioenergy,
- They acquire knowledge about problems resulting from the production of food of animal origin, treatment and recycling of waste materials and harmful gas as well as bioenergy production.
Prospective students need a Bachelor's degree in life sciences, agricultural sciences or in a comparable course. Comparable courses are e.g. programmes dealing with land use. For further information, please contact the Study Office.
The science orientated education of our students is possible because of our close cooperation with different research institutions in Mecklenburg-West Pomerania and Saxony. These relations enable us to guarantee our students an early inclusion in interesting fields of our research. The following institutions are involved in the training of the students:
- Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut, Federal Research Institute of Animal Health, Riems
- Leibniz-Institute for Farm Animal Biology, Dummerstorf
- Landesforschungsanstalt für Landwirtschaft und Fischerei M-V
- Deutsches Biomasseforschungszentrum GmbH
- LMS Agrarberatung GmbH - Centre of Agricultural Advice Service
Fields of Activity for Graduates
In this study course, competences are developed that enable our students to work e.g. in the following fields of activity:
- As a scientist in private and public institutions dealing with Livestock Sciences,
- Leading positions and consulting activities for smaller and medium-sized enterprises working in the field of agriculture, environment, food and bioenergy (including downstream and upstream industry),
- Work in administrations concerned with special aspects of food production (with animal origin).
Further Qualification (PhD)
The Master's degree is a prerequisite for further scientific qualifications. At our faculty, the following academical doctoral degrees can be obtained:
- PhD of Agriculture (Dr. agr.)
- PhD of Engineering Sciences (Dr.-Ing.)